Wednesday, January 14

Happy News (positive news tidbits gathered online)

My husband, Mr. Bean as we’ll call him, is a news hound. Although we don’t take a paper he diligently goes online and reads CNN, ABC, and the Drudge Report before leaving the house each day. I am lucky if I know what day of the week it is when I leave each morning! Most evenings I’ll come home and he’ll ask, “Hey, what did you think about what happened to So-and-So in Blah-buh-dee-blah during the peace talks?” I usually respond with something stupid like, “Who is in peace talks right now?” Mr. Bean then looks at me like I am insane.

It’s not that I don’t like being caught up on the news. I have started trying to read CNN during my lunch hour as I eat my sandwich (New Year’s Resolution of eating out less, you know) at my office desk, and that’s helped some. However, umpteen pages of depressing stories of the economic crunch, the mortgage crisis, the American car industry fallout, etc. tend to leave me wanting slightly more hopeful tidbits to mentally digest as I return to working.

That’s how I found Happy News, an online company based out of Austin, TX. Visit their website and you’ll see their tagline: “Real News, Compelling Stories, Always Positive.” Here they break positive news tidbits from around the world into typical news categories such as Financial, Global, Sports, Health, etc., but all of their stories have to do with something positive. Today’s top stories, for example, include things such as “6-Yr Old Boy Saves Mother’s Life” and a quick video clip of “Ten Ways to Be a Better Parent.” Some are a little far fetched – do they actually think that "New Quickie Wedding Location" will leave me wanting skip and dance and sing about the room? No, of course not, but taking a few minutes to read through this site’s headlines each day sure helps to give me perspective. Perhaps it will do the same for you.

1 comment:

TuTu's Bliss said...

Welcome to SITS. Hugs, Jen

 
Clicky Web Analytics