Thursday, February 18

Sad Morning

Today I went to work using the back roads to avoid traffic on the main highway. I saw a cat trying to cross the six lane street we were on. He started to run out in front of me, but then went back to the edge of the road as I passed. I relaxed and thought he must have decided to wait, but then saw him dart right out in front of the car behind me. The driver didn't even see him in time. I pulled over immediately and found the cat about 10 feet off the road. It was stretching its legs out a little bit then pulling them back, maybe for a minute or two, then died. Of course I bawled and stayed with him until it was over. I tried to find the owner, but didn't see anyone and all the houses are gated. He didn't have a collar and I saw a couple of fleas, so I guess he was a stray.

I hope that my being there with him helped ease his fear and pain.

5 comments:

Mo Diva said...

((((hugs)))) I would have cried my eyes out! poor thing. You are amazing for staying with him while he went. he probably hadnt seen any compassion like that in a while. poor kitty!

Tori C. said...

Thank you so much for your comment. We had to put our own kitty to sleep last November and I decided to stay with him. It was THE HARDEST THING I've ever done, but I couldn't have done it any other way. I decided that if it had been my kitty who had been hit today, I would hope that someone could be there to be with him. OK, gotta stop writing. Crying again and I'm at work!

Mrs Anne said...

i'm so sorry that happened to you today.

i am glad that you stayed with it, and may it be in animal heaven.

:(

Unknown said...

Aww, Tori. I'm sorry. That's a terrible way to start the day.
I'm sure it was some comfort that you were there with the kitty.
Just go home and hug yours extra long.

Tamara Dawn said...

Oh that would have been terrible. So nice of you to stop and be there with him.

Thanks for coming by my place the other day. =)

 
Clicky Web Analytics